This cemetery, established on a portion of the 400 acres originally granted by Thomas,
Lord Fairfax of Cameron, to Hans Bernard Sibert
in 1752, is located in the Fort Valley
section of Shenandoah County on the south side of Sibert Road
just a few hundred yards from St. Davids Church Road (shown on the
as Joppa Road). See the history of this property.
Also the location and layout are discussed
Of some interest is that the name Sibert has undergone many variations in spelling over time and in various locations. Although all the Siberts in this cemetery use a single spelling, the name appears elsewhere as Scybert, Seabert, Seever, Seibert, Seiver, Seubert, Sevier, Seybert, Sibert, Siebert, Sybert and probably other forms as well.
Marvin H. Vann (left) and Jerry Stephens (right) completing
the Sibert Cemetery Sign in 1989
All of the existing tombstones in this cemetery have been photographed and presented here. A couple are simple field stones with no engraving to identify the person lying there and appear to be original. However, a number of graves whose occupants are unknown are marked with small, more modern saw-cut marble slabs, again with no inscription. These are discussed here.
Presentation in the list below is alphabetically by name under which buried. Be aware that some of the over 110 individuals here were buried under name spellings not usually associated with that family as well as peculiar spellings of given names, particularly true of infants in the earlier years, possibly because the surname was changed later or possibly because the family was illiterate and could not provide a proper spelling for the stone cutter.
We would appreciate your help to enhance these memorial pages.
Bly, Raymond unk - 1929 Duncan, Sarah Etta Shipe 1880 - 1919 Habron, Amanda 1848 - 1862 Habron, Amos Edmond 1872 - 1913 Habron, Anna Moore Virginia Golladay 1859 - 1921
|Back to Main Page|